The training will focus on the issues that people with a visual impairment face in the workplace including eye conditions and their effects, effective communication, sighted guiding, accessible environments, eye health and simulation of sight loss.
The course is designed to increase knowledge and skills to become ‘VI Confident’ when offering support and assistance to anyone living with low vision.
- Causes of sight loss, eye conditions and their effects
- Understanding the emotional impact of sight loss
- Sighted guide training – how to safely guide a person with a visual impairment
- Effective communication and appropriate language
- Reasonable adjustments to ensure you comply with The Equality Act 2010
- Making your buildings and environments accessible
- The importance of eye health, especially for visual display users
- How assistive technology can empower a person with visual impairment
Visual Impairment Awareness e-learning
Individuals with a visual impairment are just regular people…family members, colleagues, service users, professionals, managers and customers – only with sight differences. With our Visual impairment awareness e-learning package, you can be fully inclusive and check your accessibility status.
Why is this course important?
It’s estimated that more than two million people in the UK live with a visual impairment (VI) that is severe enough to have a significant impact on their daily lives. This number is expected to double by 2050 due to ageing, diabetes, obesity and lifestyle factors, so being ‘VI Confident’ is an essential skill to have.
What are the benefits?
By taking this course, you’ll increase your knowledge and skills and become ‘VI Confident’ when offering support and assistance to anyone living with low vision. You’ll also be helping our mission to make the world more inclusive, accessible, equal and enjoyable for people living with sight loss. As an additional benefit, our online visual impairment training means that you don’t even have to leave the office!
- Sight Loss Facts and Myths
- Identifying Sight Loss
- Eye Conditions and their Effects
- Emotional Impacts of Sight Loss
- Assistive Technologies
- Communicating Effectively
- Mobility and Sighted Guiding Techniques
Will I get a certificate?
When completed, you can download a personalised certificate of completion which can be used as part of your CPD.