Congratulations to Barnet Youth Justice Service and Multi-Agency Partnership for attaining Youth Justice SEND Quality Lead Status with a Child First Commendation.
Barnet has demonstrated effective evidence-based practice against the quality assurance framework at the first time of asking. This is a great achievement and a testament to strategic and operational commitment, investment, and endeavour over an extended period of time.
Amongst the features of Barnet’s work that contributed to this award are:
- A long-established relationship between the Local Authority SEND Team and the Youth Justice Service, further strengthened by refreshed Terms of Reference for the relevant multi-agency panels.
- Co-located staff (such as Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, Forensic Psychologist & Youth Justice Liaison and Diversion Practitioner) that play a critical role not only in ensuring timely expert support for identified young people, but also in up-skilling frontline staff through training and consultancy.
- Strong links to Pupil Referral Unit, Virtual School and a large number of Borough schools and academies, increasing opportunity and impact of early identification and early help.
- Well integrated with Child and Family Early Help Service and offering early help provisions for Out-of-Court Disposals, Turnaround and custody base provisions via Tri-Borough Project Engage (Barnet, Brent and Harrow) to engage with young people during the teachable, reachable moment and link them with positive activities, access universal provisions in the local communities.
- A clear and sustained commitment to resettlement and after-care, unconstrained by service “hard-stops” in terms of age or statutory responsibilities.
- A child-first focus that includes residential trips for identified children with complex needs and co-produced service materials informed by the child’s voice (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPB04vP0YjQ&feature=youtu.be) and or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri5wWPFOwP4
- A very strong and child focused Youth Justice Plan which has been endorsed by the Youth Justice Board
Well done Barnet!